About Arts for Learning:
Founded in 2000, Arts for Learning (A4L) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to advancing teaching and learning through the arts. With the tagline, “All Children. All Arts”, our vision is that Miami’s youngest residents, from infancy through high school, are empowered by the arts to thrive in the world, with knowledge, creativity, and passion. A4L serves more than 5,000 children annually through artist residencies in early learning centers, after school arts classes, summer camps, studio programs, and internships in the arts for high school students. A4L’s teaching artists are professional actors, directors, musicians, dancers, choreographers, writers, and visual artists who are committed to sharing their artistry and creative processes with Miami’s youngest learners. In order to ensure the success of the organization, A4L develops meaningful community relationships, understands and appreciates stakeholders’ needs, demonstrates creative problem solving, and leverages data to inform & support solutions.
Arts for Learning’s Core Values:
Learning, Meaning, Resilience, Creativity, Integrity, Equity, Inclusiveness
Part Time Position
We currently have four Afterschool Counselor positions open at our brilliant arts-based afterschool program for children in grades K-5 at Dr. Carlos J. Finlay Elementary School located adjacent to the FIU University Park Campus at 851 SW 117th Ave, Miami, FL 33184. We seek individuals who love working with children, being part of a team, and who value creativity in education. A strong candidate will have a willingness to learn and be a team player. The position reports directly to our Afterschool Site Manager.
The Afterschool Counselors are responsible for the general health, safety, and well-being of the program participants, with an emphasis on the care and supervision of participants in the counselors’ assigned afterschool groups. Afterschool Counselors ensure safety and good behavior through positive class management techniques, model desired behavior, and provide overall support to their assigned participants during the afterschool activities. Counselors stay with their assigned group of children as they go to the various afterschool classes provided such as dance, theatre, music, and/or the visual arts.
- Create a warm and welcoming environment
- Serve as a role model to the participants
- Facilitate and oversee homework help and literacy support
- Assist with snack distribution
- Know, understand, and implement all program procedures as appropriate
- Know, enforce, and follow all safety guidelines associated with all program areas. This includes but is not limited to being responsible for participants’ safety and knowing their whereabouts at all times
- Assist in maintaining accurate program records including but not limited to daily attendance
- Communicate with parents about participants’ experiences and progress
- Share concerns, comments, and feedback with the Site Manager
- Ensure that the site is kept clean, orderly, and organized
**A4L will provide the required 40 hours of DCF Child Care Training to selected candidates as needed along with any other needed training and support including training on differentiated instruction and literacy curricula. Selected candidates can complete the DCF Child Care training modules online. **
Note: As A4L works directly with minors, background screenings are conducted prior to and periodically during employment
- Strong organization and problem solving skills Strong judgment and decision-making ability Excellent interpersonal skills
- Experience working with children of varied ages
- Experience working with Zoom / Microsoft Teams (in the case we need to provide virtual programming) A clear Level II
- Background Screening
- First Aid and CPR Certification preferred (we have CRP certified team members on staff) College course work in childcare, education, arts education, social work, or psychology a plus
Employment Dates & Schedule
August 2022- June 2023 Monday–Friday with availability from 1:15-6pm
While we would love to have candidates work M-F, if a candidate only has a few afternoons a week from 1-6, they may still apply for employment consideration.
Summer employment is also available
COMPENSATION: $14-$16/per hour
Please send resume and cover letter only to: Dia Carter Webb, Senior Program Director email: HR@A4Lmiami.org
We are seeking to hire immediately.
Response will be limited to those candidates who are being considered for interviews.
Arts for Learning is an Equal Opportunity Employer