SCHOOL & TEACHER
For more than a decade, Arts for Learning has partnered with schools, teachers and administrators to integrate the arts into everyday classroom learning. Through collaborative partnerships with Arts for Learning’s Teaching Artists, teachers learn to leverage the arts and art making practices to teach concepts in math, science, language arts, social studies, and life skills. The program refreshes creativity in teachers and helps students develop skills needed for success in the classroom and beyond.
Through the GET smART program, the artist and teacher work together to blend opportunities to teach creative and critical thinking, problem solving, academic content, and art making.
For example, in a GET smART classroom, artists and teachers work together to:
- Use the choreographic process to teach Newtonian Physics to 6th, 7th and 8th graders
- Use storytelling to help students connect to the Holocaust and learn about tolerance and anti-bullying
- Use the dramatic principles of protagonists and antagonists to help students understand the difference between pathogens and blood cells
- Use Greek architecture to understand mathematical concepts such as symmetry, proportion and scale
The core components of GET smART include:
- 5-session (minimum) artist residency per classroom where artists and teachers approach the curriculum as a team
- Expert guidance from a teaching artist and Arts for Learning staff, with an emphasis on planning and reflection
- Authentic opportunities for students to share and evaluate their own work and that of their peers
- Opportunity for teachers to create new ways to observe and assess student learning
2013-2014 GET smART School Location
Doral Academy Preparatory School11100 NW 27th Street, Doral, FL 33172
Arts Integration Workshops
Arts for Learning is available to provide standalone arts-integration workshops to interested teachers and schools. For more information, please contact Janet Evans, Program Director, at [email protected] or (305) 576-1212 ext.30.